Saturday, June 24, 2006

recipies

I have three recipies.
Sure, I have recipe books and can work off the back of a box, but there are just three recipes that follow me around on assorted loose pieces of paper. My cousin Spencer invented white wheat bread (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-04-25-food-scientist_x.htm)
for SaraLee, but I just have these three recipes. The problem is that I can never find them when I want them. Now that I'm compressing my worldly belongings into one room of my house they've surfaced again. So, for the sake of digital record I give you my three recipes.

Million $ Fudge
given to me by Janet Patterson
12 oz sweet choc.
12 oz semi-sweet choc.
4.5 cups sugar
1 large can evaporated milk
1.5 tbsp butter
1 pt marshmellow creme
2 cups of nuts
salt

Shave or cut the chocolate in pieces. Cook sugar, milk, and salt for 6 minutes at boiling. You will have to watch to keep from scorching milk.
Place chocolate, marshmellow creme, butter, and nuts in large bowl and pour boiling mixture over them. Beat until all are melted and mixture is thick enough to pour into a buttered pan. Cut into pieces - will stay soft for a long time.



Deviled eggs
dictated over the phone by Mom
6 eggs
1/4 c mayo
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1/8 tsp salt
dash of pepper
sprinkle with paprika

Figure out the rest on your own



Make Ahead Lasagna
e-mailed from Mom which she got from a packet of McCormick Spagetti Sauce
Brown 1 lb ground beef; drain fat. Add sauce mix, 2 cans (6 oz.) tomato paste and 4.5 cups water. Cover and simmer 10 min. In a 13x9-inch baking dish, spread 1.5 cups sauce. Arrange a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles over sauce. Top with same sauce and half of 1 container (12 oz.) cottage cheese, half of one package (8 oz.) shredded Mozzarella cheese, and 3 tbs grated Parmesan cheese. Top with another layer of noodles, sauce and cheese. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Bake in 350 oven 45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

Mom's notes:
I usually add an egg to the cottage cheese and a handful of dried parsley flakes or 1/2 package of drained spinich. I could also see adding layers of zucchini or whatever. It's a very forgiving recipe. The standing time is important to keep it from being soupy. I have recently tried using two 8 in. square pans instead of the 13x9 and just breaking the lasagna noodles to fit. It worked fine. When you assemble the lasagna just squish it down when you have it all put together so that the noodles are covered. If it's too thick to squish, I just pour a little bit of water (a few tablespoons) around where it's needed until it will squish to cover the noodles.

My notes:
I've been known to half the meat and put half the sauce with it and the rest of thwe sauce with a can of spinich instead of the meat. Then make the two smaller pans of lasagna like Mom said. This is usually done for vegetarian guests.

No comments: