Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Movie review: Devil

When this movie opened I was too poor for movies. Then there were illnesses. Then it'd been out for awhile and we hadn't seen it and did we really want to see it? Yummy did, but she figured it'd be too scary. I started to go several times, but always found something I'd rather do. Like sit on the couch.

Finally, I did see this movie. It's exactly what I expected it to be. I even guessed which of the people in the elevator was the devil from the trailers.

That said, it's not a bad movie. We've come to expect certain things from M. Night Shamalamadingdong. Namely a movie with a twist at the end. But ever since "Sixth Sense" he's been going down hill. Even the movies that have a good twist have a weak movie surrounding them. So this was a step back up. Decent movie with a predictable twist. Is it really a twist if you see it coming?

Here's the premise. Five people are in a stuck elevator. One of them is the devil.

You know how this plays out. Strange things happen. When the power flickers people get hurt or killed. The last survivor has to face down some ultimate evil.

Basically, what we have here is a good English manor mystery. You know, where a bunch of people have been invited to an English manor for dinner. Someone dies, the phone lines are cut, they can't leave, and they have to figure out who the killer is before he kills again.

I'm not recommending that you run out and see this movie. It's not bad. It's just not anything to get worked up about. I was planning to NetFlix it, myself. I mean, right up until I didn't.

No comments: