Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Movie Review: Run Fatboy Run

"Shawn of the Dead" was a really good movie. The British TV show "Spaced" was also pretty awesome. I'm really looking forward to the next Star Trek movie. In fact, I think I can say I'm a fan of Simon Pegg as writer and an actor. Enough so that I went to see "Hot Fuzz" and "Run, Fatboy, Run" based just on his involvement.

Much to my surprise, "Run, Fatboy, Run" is a romantic comedy. I suppose it shouldn't have been a surprise. He did a zombie flick and a buddy cop movie. What's next in line? But the trailers I saw didn't include that part of the film. They focused on Simon Pegg trying to work out.

Several years ago Dennis left his pregnant fiance at the alter. He's still in her life as her kid's father. He'd like more but women have trouble forgetting that kind of thing. Now she's dating Hank Azaria. Rich, handsome, runs marathons for charity, all that good stuff. So Dennis decides to run the marathon, too, just to prove that he can change from the irresponsible bum he is. He's trained by his best buddy and his landlord.

The ending is the predictable one where he finishes the race despite an injury and wins the girl.

It's a funny movie. I liked it more than "Hot Fuzz" but not as much as "Shawn...". But there wasn't much in the way of laughing out loud and I won't be getting it on DVD.

Still, I'll be going to see him play young Scotty in "Star Trek 11". Pegg's enough of a geek that he must have flipped when he got that role.

No comments: