Monday, March 05, 2007

construction

I started throwing myself at home repairs a bit sooner than I thought I would. I've been keeping the upstairs pretty cold and try not to go up there. But now there's someone who may want to come over eventually. So I came home from work, grabbed the pry bar that Dad gave me for Christmas, and attacked the wall in what used to be my geek room.

Here's the report after one hour.
Starting from the inside of the wall and working out there's brick, a layer of cement, plaster, paint, paint, paint, paint, plaster, and paint. Everything above the cement comes off with some ease. The cement turns to powder with just a bit of encouragement.
I've cleared away about half of what's covering the cement. I planned to provide a picture but the battery is dead in my camera.
A few clumps came out where someone pushed putty between the bricks.
Getting the bricks clean should be no problem.

After two and a half hours.
Dust everywhere and in everything. I came down to let the dust settle from the air as much as anything. Great sections of wall cover just seem to drop off while others hang on for dear life. Still, most of that wall is clear. I can start in on the actual cement covering.
I brought the radio up after that first hour. Think I'll see about bringing home the VCR from the office tomorrow. For now I want to bring the antenna up so I can work during "Prison Break" and "Heroes".
Gandolf stopped chewing her feathers while I worked now that we're back down here she's chewing again. She's bored and doesn't know how to care for her feathers.

After five and a half hours.
It starts getting cold when you're not vigorously chipping away painted plaster. Cement removal is more like archaeology. Slowly removing soft stone a bit at a time. It helps to dig trenches. Cut the huge wall of cement into smaller islands. How well those come away from the wall varies wildly, but it's better than taking it away as dust. I've got a few square feet cleared. If I'd planned this better that wall could look like an artistic version of some blasted Middle East house.
They apparently mixed hair with the cement back then to help it hold together. Probably horse, but could be human. But no hair is a match for my pry bar.

The next morning.
EVERYTHING SMELLS LIKE DUST!

No comments: