Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Movie Review: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

I never played the Prince of Persia games. I was more of a "King's Quest" type person. But I was still interested in the "Sands of Time" movie. Video games have a reputation for simply being awful. Uwe Boll deserves a lot of the credit for that, but not all. He wasn't involved in "Super Mario Bros." or "Doom". Well "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" doesn't belong in that category. There are times where you get a bit sick of the Parkour (a.k.a. freerunning). This movie has lots of running across rooftops while evading baddies or crowded hallways full of snipers. But once you get past that it's a decent movie.

Dastan was a street urchin who was adopted by the king. He was the youngest of three raised in the palace. When the king is poisoned Dastan gets the blame and has to go on the run. Of course, it wouldn't be much of a movie if he didn't already have the key to the whole affair with him - the dagger containing the sands of time. So Dastan has to find the real killer, save the kingdom and the planet, and help the princess throw the dagger into Mount Doom... or something.

I'm not convinced it's something I need for my DVD collection, but I am glad I saw it if only for the face that Yummy made during the ostrich races.

No comments: