Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Department of Acquisitions: Commodore 64

I have a memory of being at Grammie's for some family get together or other. I forget the age, exactly, but I'm pretty sure that while walking was no longer the achievement that it once was, it was something that still needed some fine tuning. Gathered around the TV was much of the family. And there was a game being played on it. "Centipede" I think. And maybe "Lunar Lander". It belonged to my uncle, El Cid, father to the oft mentioned Muffinmen. It was a Commodore 64 and may have been my first exposure to personal computers. If not the first then damn close.


Yummy got this for me. It needed power cables and some sort of data storage device. That's what got me on the most recent Ebay addiction that resulted in all these new acquisitions for the museum.

I've hooked it up. It does work. I just need some software for it. I'm working on that.

I feel that I should note that Commodore, LLC is still in existence. They released a Commodore 64 replica that runs modern software. When "Thief 4" finally comes out I'll be looking to them first for a Windows machine. You can get yours at http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx.

No comments: