Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Star Wars in Concert

Late last summer Yummy and I went to see "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" with the score performed live. When I saw that "Star Wars in Concert" was coming to town I thought it would be something similar. I figured we were looking at six years of Star Wars movies with orchestral accompaniment. That's not what we got.

Instead, we saw selected pieces from all six movies performed with scenes and dialog from the movies mixed in. A large screen stood behind the orchestra showing clips mixed with the feed from a camera that hovered over the band. Anthony Daniels, better known as the guy inside C-3PO, gave a breakdown of the story between songs. What was on screen would have gone well on PBS.

I have a lingering idea of the sort of clothes that should be worn to events with orchestras. They're something you get spiffed up for. OK, not like opera clothes, but certainly not sweat pants. We went slightly dressed up. Office wear. Not like what was considered church clothes when I was a kid, but better than what I'd wear to the movies. The rest of the audience was wearing their Star Wars gear. Obvious in retrospect. Too bad I don't have any.

Some were in full Jedi garb. Some were making do with their Harry Potter capes. T-shirt with Star Wars themes were common. Yummy's favorite said "You don't need to look at my chest. These aren't the breasts you're looking for. Move along." I'm kinda proud of Yummy for getting it. We saw several other who needed it explained to them. One older woman had it explained several times and still didn't get the reference even though she knew the scene.

If the concert passes through your area I recommend going to see it. If nothing else it's a good way to introduce your kids to the symphony.

Their website is http://www.starwarsinconcert.com/. Be warned. There's sound. Turn down your speakers at work.

1 comment:

GreenCanary said...

STAR WARS IN CONCERT ROCKED! And I am totally buying that shirt. It was brilliant.