Monday, November 05, 2007

Solar Decathlon: Hydroponics

Hydroponics. I love hydroponics. It's growing crops without soil or having to get out in the beating, burning, Kansas summer sun. There's no problem with droughts or having harvest rained out. It'll be the major source of food if we ever get to Mars.
I wanted to buy my neighbor's house largely to have a place to install a large (for a residential area) hydroponic garden and grow fresh veggies all year long. That and I wanted a place to put a pool table.

I forget which school built this house, but they put a rather nice hydroponics system right outside the front door. Just step outside, get the morning paper, and pluck a salad. But being outside means that it's still seasonal. I'd want a wheeled rack that I could move indoors for the winter.




No comments: