Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Hurricane season

Hurricane season begins June 1 and lasts until December 1. After the escalation of number and severity of these storms over the last few years I've been paying a bit more attention than I have in the past. There was a big deal made of the beginning of the current season back in the beginning of June, but so far there haven't been much in the way of hurricanes this year. A few tropical storms, sure, but nothing to get upset about. I'm not complaining mind you. Hurricanes drive up the price of plywood and sheetrock and I want mine as cheap as possible. Even so, I was beginning to wonder when all the hurricanes were gonna show up.
A quick Google search came up with some numbers, but I'm looking for a simple graphic that sums it all up. The people at NOAA had a tiny little thing on this page but it's kind of hard to make out. I went to download it and found that they named the image "small_hfreq.jpg". Well, what happens if I remove the word "small_"? I get a BIG image.


So according to this things start getting heated up right about... today!
------

p.s. Click on the image to see the readable version.

No comments: