Monday, August 14, 2006

The 10 Bumperstickers

I haven't talked about Dougintology much. There was the posting about prayer a few months back and a mention of Towel Day, one of the few official holidays, but that's been it. It's time to expand.

Dougintology is a religion of one. It's based on the beliefs of a guy named Doug. It has a single believer, also named Doug. Only Doug can tell Doug what Doug believes. If the Pope decides that the color blue is an abomination before God all the Catholics have to change their wardrobe. But Doug will just hit the Salvation Army and stock up.

Just as the Bible worshiping faiths have their 10 Commandments Dougintology is trying to come up with 10 Bumperstickers. Partially as something to sell, but also to sum up in simple soundbite form some of the essential beliefs of The Lord Doug Almighty.

Here's what I've got nailed down in not particular order.
1) Make abortion unnecessary, not illegal.
2) Stupidity is the deadliest sin.
3) I'm wrong and so are you.
4) Science: It's about how, not who.

Here's a few others under consideration
5) Marriage: Not a government concern.
6) Science: God's toolbox.
7) Lilith was a REAL woman.
8) "Tradition" is another way of saying there's no good reason for something.
9) Sterility is a gift.
10) Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent.

I'll try not to harp on them too much, but when I'm running low on ideas of what to post I'll lean back on these bumperstickers.

If you have any other suggestions I'm open to hearing them.

4 comments:

TooMuchCoffeeLady said...

If the human race isn't supposed to die out, how would sterility be a gift?

Ibid said...

I'm of the opinion that human population would fit the world better if there were only 2-3 billion of us instead of ~7 billion. As it is we're facing some major life changes either voluntarily or forced on us by the environment.
People who find themselves born sterile should look at it not as the horrible punishment that I see so many thinking it is and look at it instead as a freedom. They never have to worry about getting knocked up. They can enjoy their free time, they can have a sex life instead of dropping into bed too exhausted to move, they can have better stuff, their career can go further, they can volunteer, or they can adopt some kid who would otherwise have a much shittier life. Every kid I don't have is one less car on the road, one less person crowding the schools, one less McMansion pushing into the wilderness, untold amounts of broken toys and diapers that will never be thrown onto the lawn or into a landfill.
The neighbor kids swarm all over me. A few that I trust get to come in and play video games. They asked me how I can afford a house, a Segway, a parrot, a Playstation 2 and games, etc. etc. I told them it was because I didn't have kids. They were momentarily indignant, but then they thought about it. They learned more in those 5 minutes than they probably learned in that whole year of DC public schooling.

TooMuchCoffeeLady said...

Have you ever thought of it from the angle of "the freedom to reproduce"? Some people, myself included, ultimately just need to have a family to be happy. Plus, you are also forgetting that not bearing children (for women) ups their chances of getting certain deadly cancers bigtime.

The problem is that the people who are holding off on having children because of the reasons you listed above are exactly the people who SHOULD be reproducing, whereas the ones who have 8 kids by age 30 are the ones that should be sterilized.

Don't get me wrong, you have to live your life in the way that is right for you and I respect that; it's just that not everyone sees things the way you do.

Ibid said...

> Plus, you are also forgetting that not bearing
> children (for women) ups their chances of
> getting certain deadly cancers bigtime.
Every time I've seen those studies they've been pushed by The Christian Breeders Program or some such "impartial" group. They've also told me that abortions cause lycanthropy.

> Don't get me wrong, you have to live your
> life in the way that is right for you and I
> respect that; it's just that not everyone
> sees things the way you do. --
That's why it's Dougintology and not The Crusades.