Sunday, August 13, 2006

Death of a solar panel

Roughly 20 years ago Kansas gave tax credits for people who bought solar panels for their homes. I don't recall the exact requirements but most people who took advantage of it installed solar water heaters. My parents got some and my uncle got some. But age, and a hailstorm, have taken their toll on my uncle's house. Over the 4th of July Dad and I went over to help him take them down.

A recent hailstorm took out the two panels on the left.

We pulled a wheat truck around to the back of the house and built a quick and dirty deck on the top. It's easier to put them on the deck and then lower them down than to just lower them from the roof.
And those colors are natural. No photo retouching.

In the circle is where one of the hailstones hit. They were huge and they were jagged.

My uncle is gonna need his whole roof repaired. Some internal plumbing issues mean the panels will probably not be replaced.

No comments: