Thursday, April 02, 2009

Movie Review: Knowing

"Knowing" is that movie about Nicholas Cage finding a 50 year old list of numbers that predicts the date, location, and body count for every disaster between then and now.

Really, it's not that good at predicting disasters. That date I went on back in college didn't make the list. Maybe the body count wasn't high enough.

This movie had some of the worst acting I've seen outside of something directed by George Lucas. I expected the credits to roll and we'd see

John Koestler ... An oak plank
Caleb Koestler ... A cedar plank
Diana Wayland ... The larch

The best performance was done by someone who never even spoke.

Despite the wooden acting the movie was really pretty disturbing. Did you see Iron Man? Remember that scene at the beginning where Tony Stark's Humvee gets attacked? That was pretty damn realistic and really left you momentarily unsettled. There are several scenes like that in this movie only much longer.

At one point you see a forest ablaze and looking like one of the best movie scenes of hell you've ever seen. Then a flaming moose comes charging out followed by lots of other animals.

There's a scene where a subway train goes off the rails at full speed tearing up another train and splattering a bunch of people.

And then the world ends in a fire that sweeps over the whole planet in a blast. You get good aerial shots of cities, buildings, and people blasted away.

I don't think I'd need to see it again, but I was glad I saw it. But I warn people who are disturbed by apocalyptic scenes or take religious gloom and doom literature too seriously not to see it.

1 comment:

GreenCanary said...

Like me! This was NOT the movie I needed to see this weekend. Talk about unsettling... I'm currently hoarding bottles of water and canned peas, though they won't help me when the solar flare turns me into a pile of ash.