Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Build your own library

Shelves I made. Behind them is
tool storage.

I've been putting my library back in some kind of order. Over the years I've tried this a number of times. I used to wonder why libraries organized by author. I didn't know the names of the authors of most of my books. I organized by title almost exclusively. I mean, if I wanted to read "Foundation" I went to the F section and got it.

This has changed.

First of all, it's changed because I know a lot more of my author names. Anything I see from Robert J Sawyer or John Scalzi gets bought. Any Isaac Asimov titles that I find that I don't own get bought even if it's just to fill the gaps.

Second of all, my library is huge now. The reference section breaks down into religion, science, technology, programming, medical, and general. Star Trek, Dr. Who, and other TV related shows that I have more than 3 of get their own area. Graphic novels and cartoon books (i.e. Dilbert, Zits, Foxtrot, etc) get their own bookcase. There's a section for autographed books. Most of one bookcase gets filled with stuff that I haven't read yet.

According to Delicious Library [link] I have 868 books. This doesn't include what I just got at the Friends of the Arlington Library Book Sale last weekend. Nor does it include the books that I found I have duplicates of and are giving to Yummy for her niece's yard sale.

The shelf above is mostly full with strictly entertainment books running from Douglas Adams to some author with a Z early in his last name. I may have to split off a section just of ghost stories (maybe they should go in the religion section) and another of classic literature.

I'm convinced I had a point to get to when I started this. Positive. Huh.

Well, the nice thing about this time of the year is that instead of just looking like an absent minded techie I can blame the fact that I've been breathing equal parts oxygen and tree sperm.

4 comments:

BrianAlt said...

I'm with you there. Fuckin' allergies! My driveway looks like it snowed pollen all over it.

Sweetly Single said...

That is the coolest book shelf

it is exactly like the one I want when I grow up.

Good Luck on the allergy front....I'm totally in the same boat

Ibid said...

I'm pretty happy with the bookshelf. It's all notches and pegs, no glue or nails.

GreenCanary said...

Hey! I recognize that telescope. It's slated to go to my niece's yard sale. I'm just sayin'... ;-)