Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The library

Long time readers are familiar with my ongoing home repair projects.

Some time back I tore all the cement and plaster off the wall of what I then called my geek room.1 Then I removed all the bad mortar from between the exposed bricks and refilled them. I tore down the ceiling and painted the ceiling joists dark green. I tore up the carpet and replaced it with bamboo flooring. But I couldn't finish because I needed to have someone run ventilation ducts through the floor. Before this past Winter I had the furnace and hot water tank replaced and new duct work put in. Now I'm moving on to the next step.

Monday night was spent moving all the books from what I'm now calling my library. That's roughly 700 books.
Last night I moved out a few last things and started to scrub the floor. I swept, dusted, vacuumed between the bamboo slats, and scrubbed out little black marks that appeared everywhere.

After spending two nights on it I still haven't made progress putting the floor together. This involves making sure to reposition the slats that may have crept apart by a bit and assembling (with a bit of rawking adhesive) the last foot of floor.
Then I have to wipe the floor down again and seal it so never again can dust and grime fill the spaces between the slats

This is followed by putting moulding around the edges to cover where the edge of the floor doesn't meet the wall perfectly. Then we paint the non-brick walls.

In fact... there's a brick wall made of various shades of brick red, the ceiling joists are forest green, the floor is bamboo colored, what color should I paint the wall?

1It was called this because it housed all my computers (both in active use and archives) and spare parts.

2 comments:

Sweetly Single said...

I would do a cream color to enhance the colors of the ceiling and brick

GreenCanary said...

Let's paint the wall a warm cream and repaint the joists dark chocolate brown! Also? You need this photo in your library: http://www.flickr.com/photos/asylum_collectibles/2608493069/