Friday, June 27, 2008

Movie Review: Wanted

I caught a screening of "Wanted" last night. This movie had totally failed to catch my attention before. I'd seen a trailer or two but they focused on Angelina Jolie and guns. The curving bullet trick was neat but it just came off kinda lame. But I won tickets so I went.

It's hard to talk about this movie without giving something away. So instead I'm going to tell you a different story. In Greek mythology there's three women: Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos. They're The Fates (a.k.a. Apportioners; a.k.a. Moirae). Clotho, a young woman, spins the thread of our lives. Lachesis, the middle aged one, measures the threads. Atropos, an elderly woman, cuts the threads. They have parallels in Roman and Norse mythology but the Greek version is best known.

Keep the idea of threads as human lives in mind when you watch this movie.
Or perhaps think of threads as a story. Then watch the threads on screen as the movie progresses.

Now back to the movie:
1000 years ago a group of weavers formed an order of assassins called The Fraternity.
Our hero is a complete goomba with a crap job, a cheating girlfriend, and nothing to live for.
Our hero is recruited by The Fraternity to take out a rogue member.
His father, who left when our hero was a week old, was in The Fraternity.
But maybe I've said too much.

It's equal parts "The Matrix", "Mr and Mrs Smith", and "The Bourne Identity". They're not shy with the blood. Lots of great action sequences.

I'm torn about whether to get it on DVD or not. It's a great movie and I'm really glad I saw it. I'm just not sure that it's something I want to see over and over again.

No comments: