Monday, September 25, 2006

Doonesbury

Take a screenshot. This is me being giddy. It doesn't happen much.

G.B. Trudeau, creator of Doonesbury, was over at the base's equivalent of a Ronald McDonald House. The door was locked but someone saw me and let me in. Gerry (I think that's right) was talking to three guys in uniform. I can't tell rank but they weren't Generals but seemed to be higher than Colonels. Anyway, they appear to be part of the ranks that run the base and Gerry talked to them like he's dealt with them several times before. I know this isn't his first visit to base so he probably has.
Anyway, they sat down in the lounge and talked and I grabbed a chair in the corner and tried to stay out of the way. Gerry was given a stack of books with paper in them to indicate how they should be personalized. The officials left and I caught up behind him while he stood in the foyer with nobody dragging him off for some official whatever.

"Pardon me, sir. Could you pity a fanboy for a moment?"
"Sure."

Then he saw the book I brought to sign.

"Oh, wow. This is an antique. This is back when I had long hair. This book is older than you."

Then he asked if I worked on base and we talked about the medical books I create. I meant to bring one of them over for him, but I spaced. We talked about the books and he started asking about the prospects for developing them electronically and generally had a nice chat.

p.s. It's Garry B. Trudeau. Not Gerry.

No comments: