Friday, September 29, 2006

Coffee cans

I have to complain about something rather stupid. Containers. There are several containers that we used to use all the time when I was a kid that I can't find now.

The one that sat me off is coffee cans. We used to always have more large coffee cans than we knew what to do with. Dad would cut the bottoms off and cut air flaps in them. Two stacked end on end would make a good charcoal lighting tool.
If you take a large can and a small can, fill the small can with ingredients, put the lid on and tape it down securely, put the small can in the large can, pack the extra space with ice and salt, seal the large can, then toss/roll the whole thing around for awhile you'd have ice cream.
But now even the bulk coffee comes in some sort of plastic tub. I had to pick up generic coffee to get the large can I wanted. Small cans are still available.

The other one is apple cider jugs. We used to have several 1 gallon glass jugs in the garage left from all the apple cider we'd drink in the fall. The mouth was just the right size that you could drop something on fire into the jar and set a hard boiled egg (shell-less) on top and watch it get sucked in. They were also good for cloud formation simulations.
But I just can't find those jugs anymore. Maybe if I search the farm hard enough I can find an old one.

No comments: