Thursday, July 12, 2007

Work stuff

I am The Omnigeek. If there's a computer involved I can do it. Data flows to me of it's own free will. I know much and what I don't know I can find.

I've laid out ~15 of the 25 chapters in our forthcoming "Medical Aspects of Biological Warfare" book and more are coming.
"Medical Aspects of Chemical Warfare" is coming our way along with a history of the Army's dental corps and one or two others. One or two of these books could show up on my desk without warning since they're just waiting on one chapter or forward from one person who just won't get off his ass and get it done.

Meanwhile, the people who host our website dumped Webtrends recently. Webtrends is a web tracking service to let you know how much traffic your site is getting. They decided they can develop their own software cheaper. This is true. Webtrends is pricey. But having dumped Webtrends their priorities shifted so they're not working on that project anymore. But they will post the raw data every day so we can look at the unedited logs. Now, I can read this, but to really make sense of the data requires some work. So I've taken the Mac of the woman whose job it is to monitor this stuff and started rigging it up.
The web server is running, PHP and MySQL installed, the database setup, and software written to dump the daily log into the database. Now to write the code to spit it back out.
And write it while also getting those chapters out.

No comments: