Monday, July 30, 2007

Jim Dale

Jim Dale puts on one hell of a show.

He was in town last week signing audio books. I know, how does an audio book reader get big enough to warrant a book signing tour? Simple. Read a really popular book. I don't mean some low selling book like the Bible or rubbish like that. I mean REALLY popular. Bigger than Jesus, bigger than the Beatles, I mean the Harry Potter books.

Jim has won nine Audie Awards, holds spots one through six for the most audio books sold and will probably get spot seven soon, has the record for most voices created for an audio book (13), is Grammy nominated, as well well as a bunch of other awards.

He recently did a spot on NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me".
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12314757

I showed up at Border in White Flint Mall more than an hour early but all the seats were already filled. The audio books were all behind the counter, not that they went out of their way to advertise that, and you needed a receipt that you bought one in order to get a bracelet that let you get in line for a signing. And if you wanted anything else signed you were just out of luck. He's contractually forbidden to sign Harry Potter books, posters, scarves, or anything that isn't an audio book.

Jim got up and never stopped moving. It took awhile to get his mic clipped on and I suspect that's part of why. I shot 59 pictures and got maybe 4 where he actually paused long enough for a clean shot.
A clean shot

Most shots

He spent awhile talking about how he came up with his voices, the process of recording them all so he can play them back when he forgets who sounds like what, the recording booth, etc. Then he started reading. To avoid spoilers he read from old books. After all that he brought some kids up to try their voices. One girl did a great British accent.

They did their best to keep the autograph line moving. No chatting, no personalizations, no photos with Jim, and all autographs in the same place. A bit much I thought. I've been to more popular readings with less restrictions.

Still, if you get a chance to see him you should go even if he's not signing things for you. And if you see his audio books, even the non-Harry Potter stuff, give it a listen. I took his "Around the World in 80 Days" with me on my drive to Kansas last Christmas. Some readings knock you out, but Jim Dale will definitely keep you awake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, do I envy you. I've been a Jim Dale fan since I was six years old and saw 'Hot Lead and Cold Feet.'

Did he talk about anything other than Harry Potter?

Ibid said...

They mentioned some of the other audio books he's done since Harry Potter made him famous. But most people were there for Harry Potter so that's what they talked about.

Mike Rhode said...

I think he said on Wait Wait... that Harry Potter was his first audiobook - surprising in my view. One of the panelists recalled seeing him on Broadway though so he obviously has had a varied career.