Monday, June 29, 2009

Movie Review: Year One

It's already been out for several weeks, but it took Yummy and I this long to go see "Year One". I typically bow out of Jack Black movies, King Kong being the obvious exception. It's not because of him. It's just the kinds of movies he does. I don't get into the sophomoric humor comedies. "Year One" has a lot of the gross sophomoric humor but mostly does it well.

Don't think that the poop and dick jokes are all the movie has going for it. It's a buddy movie about two caveman losers who are tossed out of their tribe and go wandering. They walk through a number of Old Testament stories and get involved. They see Cain kill Abel, they stop Abraham from killing his son, they get involved with the wrong end of Roman slave trading, and end up in the city of Sodom trying to rescue their old tribe.

I probably won't get it on DVD, but I'd be willing to see it again.

I want to applaud the people in the theater who lashed out rather ferociously at the woman who dared to talk during the movie. She got smacked down hard, fast, and loudly, just as it should be.

2 comments:

GreenCanary said...

DUDE! How did I miss the Smackdown?! Was I too busy laughing at the sophmoric humor?

Ibid said...

Probably. She called out to the screen pretty loud and was shouted down stunningly fast.