Monday, June 08, 2009

Movie Review: Land of the Lost

I am not a fan of Will Farrell. I liked "Stranger Than Fiction" and one online bit that used his George Bush character but that's it. Normally I don't even like his George Bush character. Of course, I'm being completely unfair. I've not seen many of his movies. They look uniformly retarded. It's not Will Farrell but the movies that he acts in.

That said, I was looking forward to Land of the Lost. Not because I was a fan of the original. I watched the original. I think I must have liked it. Don't remember much about it. No, the trailers just looked good.

And this was a movie that delivered exactly what the trailers said it would. It was silly and funny but not uproariously so. What the movie is is fun. You see the movie with some friends and talk through most of it. There's just something about the movie that encourages talking in the theater. This was illustrated by at least three groups of people scattered about the theater.

If you haven't seen the trailers then let me tell you what to expect. Will Farrell is brilliant scientist who comes off as a complete idiot. His theories are nonsense and everyone laughs at him. But eventually, after his career has fallen to middle school science teacher, someone who believes his theories and coaxes him to finish his machine. They go looking for a tachyon source to use and get tossed to another world where dinosaurs live with lizard people, monkey people, and assorted buildings, vehicles, and monuments from all over Earth's history.

Will Farrell finds out that dinosaurs aren't as stupid as he's always been told, don't eat the local plant life, and that people in tunics can't be trusted.

I enjoyed the movie and am glad I saw it. I won't be getting it on DVD, but I think that's the best way to watch it.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Since I can't stand it when people talk in the theater, this is just another strike against this one for me. And there were plenty already.