Monday, April 29, 2013

Park clean up

We did a park cleanup this weekend. We were actually one of 3 or 4 teams in the park. One was painting the outside of the rec center building, one was mulching a bunch of young trees, and we were clearing vines and underbrush and a few trees from an overgrown tree line.
Alas, the pollen count was around 2500 or so. That's about double what's considered extremely high. So I'm there on 5 different meds. And pulling up honey suckle involved lots of strenuous leg work. So after about 4 hours my legs were shaking and some of the meds were wearing off. I was miserable. It was like the worst flu I'd ever had.
The tree removal crew showed up about an hour before my body gave up and 2 hours after they were expected. It turned out that most of what we'd been doing they had gear for. Had they gone first we could have just trimmed vines off the trees and hunted multifloral rose stems.

Sunday all we got done was scraping paint from marble window sills. Anything harder was out of the question.

3 comments:

lacochran's evil twin said...

5?! I want to party with you.

The "Cooked" offer says the rise in allergies are because we're too sanitized. So, go rub your face in some dirt/germs and you should be fine.

Okay, I'm not entirely sure he said that second part.

Ibid said...

I'm not buying the "too sanitized" argument. I grew up on a farm and nobody would accuse me of keeping a clean house.

However, I would believe that increased levels of asthma are due to all the exhaust fumes. Allergies that wouldn't bother you much before now get in lungs already irritated from the fumes.

lacochran's evil twin said...

How about all that Purel everywhere? And antibiotic overload?

Oh, and by 'offer', I clearly mean 'author'. At least the sound was close. Funny how brains work, yes?