Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Book Review: Rejiggering the Thingamajig

I recently finished reading "Rejiggering the Thingamajig and other stories" by Eric James Stone. I got it at the Nebula Awards Weekend in DC several months ago and got him to sign it.

One of the stories I'd read before. You can read it here.

Another you can listen to here.

I gotta tell ya, I like the book. There wasn't really a dud in the book. Pretty much all of them are amusing.

"Resonance" could be adapted into a movie without too much effort. There's an X-prize sort of contest to build the first space elevator and get a vessel into space. There's sabotage and attacks by eco-terrorists, lawsuits by eco-lawyers, host nations that have turned hostile, and a matter of days to get around all the problems before the main character goes bankrupt and his company is forced to close.

There's story about a short warrior and a 7 ft "wizard" that would make for a good D&D one shot game. The characters are fun enough that I really want to see more stories with them. The author says that he's got a book with them in it planned.

I recommend getting this book. And if you happen to run into Eric James Stone you'll want to ask him for his business card. There's another story on the back.

Addition: Eric James Stone was here and e-mailed me. WOO!

No comments: