Thursday, April 08, 2010

Christopher Moore

Many years ago some friends of mine recommended a book called "Lamb". It's the story of Jesus's childhood pal, a guy named Biff, and it filled the gap in Jesus's life between birth and age 30. I didn't read it despite repeated recommendations.

Then a year or two back I was coming home from a visit to Kansas when I realized that I'd sent all my reading material off in my checked luggage. I needed a book. And the book "Fool" by Christopher Moore [my review] was there in hardcover. I grabbed it and got through most of it by the time I reached DC. I needed to find more of Moore.

Then I picked up "A Dirty Job" [my review] and consumed it. Then I tried to hold back since I have a whole book case just for the stuff I've bought but haven't read.

Yummy was already familiar with Christopher Moore. She has a whole bunch of his books. While spending a weekend at her place I finally started reading "Lamb". It is made of awesome. I can't believe I haven't written a review for it. I write reviews for everything whether you give a damn or not. I sent a copy to my mom, the preacher. I don't send her many books since she has nearly no time to read, but I felt she needed to read this book. It turns Jesus's life into a comedy without making fun of the man or his life. Moore did a ton of research and it shows.

So when I found out he was coming to Politics and Prose last night I made sure to tell everyone. Ok, everyone except you guys. Yummy was there, My Krodie was there, my boss and her family, who haven't read any of his stuff, was there. You should have been there. He didn't read from the book. He figures we can do that or we have already done that. Instead he stands up and does a routine that has the audience rolling. Next time he's in town I will definitely be there. Several people there had been at his semi-local speaking engagement from the night before.

I forgot my camera, but My Krodie was kind enough to let me steal some of his pictures.

p.s. His new book, Bite Me, is the 3rd book in his vampire series. I'll read them eventually. Here's chapters 1 & 2. [link]

2 comments:

Mike Rhode said...

Yup, he was darn funny.

I didn't show any restraint and bought all the books I didn't have.

GreenCanary said...

Christopher Moore has been added to the guest list of my make-believe dinner party.