Monday, August 31, 2009

Lord of the Ringing

Yummy and I went to a concert Saturday night. I'd bought the tickets something like five months back so I was happy that I'd even remembered that it was going on.

The concert was a live orchestra performing the soundtrack to "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" while the movie played on a big screen that hung over the stage. The only problem was that it was so easy to forget the orchestra was there. You'd get caught up in the movie and periodically notice that the music track was turned up a bit too loud.

I was fascinated by one piece of equipment that the conductor had. It was computer screen that had a flashing white dot in the middle. I wanted it to be counting off the beat, but the flashing wasn't regular enough. From time to time you'd see lines wipe across his screen. There'd be a red line or two followed by a green line. When the green line made it to the right side of the screen the conductor would start a new song.

The choir was in the back whispering in the bog of the dead, singing strange languages, and I think that they were stomping when the Orcs were running with Merry and Pippin. There were two soloists that sat at the edge of the stage for most of the show. One woman with a serious tan going on and a neckline that ran down to her belt. The other was a little kid who looked to be about ten years old.

I chose wisely in picking the area with the seats instead of a spot on the lawn. It rained before the concert, probably during, and was flashing lightning the whole time.

This show is one of the reasons I think that movie theaters will never die. The audience experience is too much a part of the show. Everyone was excited and cheered both the movie and the orchestra.

The show was all around awesome. If this show comes to your area you'll want to go. If you're in the New York area they have "The Fellowship of the Ring" with orchestra performing at Radio City Music Hall in late November. "The Return of the King" should be starting a tour next year.

2 comments:

Malaise Inc said...

Live concerts with the associated movie playing are way cool. My wife and I have seen both "Koyaanisqatsi" and one of the sequels, "Powaqqatsi" with the Phillip Glass Ensemble playing the music live. An absolutely fantastic experience. I've never been able to bring myself to buy the DVDs of those movies because it would never stand up to the live experience.

BrianAlt said...

Radio City concert is October 9th and 10th. Told my wife about it. The 9th is my birthday. Happy Birthday to me!

:)