Tuesday, August 25, 2009

hypothetically...

A machine comes out that can make any food programmed into it. It's very Star Trek food replicator-ish. Unfortunately, it takes up most of your kitchen. You have to get rid of your oven and refrigerator and dishwasher just to make space. In short, you can't do your own cooking. Do you buy one?

The food isn't quite right. It tastes similar to normal food, but it's a bit flat. It tastes like colors in a photo left in the sun look. Does this change anything?

4 comments:

BrianAlt said...

Probably.

Might make me wait, but eventually buy one.

Sweetly Single said...

There is nothing better than having your own space to create your own food

Each seperate item has its own smells and it creates the deep primal desires within all of us to want more

No matter how lazy

Ibid said...

My favorite answer to this question was "No" because what happens when civilization crumbles? He was exaggerating his own fears for comedic effect, but he was referring to the fact that sometimes technology fails. My brother lost all power for a week during an ice storm. Luckily he already had a wood burning stove and a pile of wood. I keep a clock with a pendulum in my house so I know what time my shows come on when the power is off.

On the other hand, I got rid of my hot water tank. On the face of it, that doesn't seem like much, but it was 60 gallons of clean water available if the water goes out. I no longer have that reserve, but save a lot on my gas bill.

Mike Rhode said...

No, I wouldn't buy it for the same reason that the 10930s-1960s idea of either all your food coming in a pill or a prepared frozen dishes hasn't panned out. Food is a social activity for humans.