Monday, March 09, 2009

Movie Review: The Watchmen

The graphic novel from the 80s that they said couldn't translate to the big screen did. "The Watchmen" is as close an adaptation to the source material as you can expect. They didn't even try to move it from the 80's to the present. There are a few things that got cut, but nothing terribly important. They may even show up in the extended DVD.

There are several story threads that run through the movie. One about how costumed vigilantes were made illegal nearly a decade before. One about a investigation into attempts on the lives of some former heroes. One about the breakup of one super relationship and the start of another. A background story about building tensions in Afghanistan.

If you haven't read the book I don't want to say too much. You can see my review of the book here if you want to know more.

The movie runs a bit over two and a half hours. I will be getting in on DVD. I highly recommend this movie.

p.s. I just wish to reiterate the opinion that this movie rocked.

p.p.s. This movie is rated R for a reason. Do NOT take your kids. There are people exploding in very juicy ways, topless women, and a blue guy who rarely wears pants. I'd hate to be the CGI guy who had the job of making Dr. Manhattan's third leg.

1 comment:

Sweetly Single said...

I loved the book; I'm really curious if the movie even came close