Thursday, May 17, 2007

Movie Review: Beerfest

I can't believe I saw this movie. I wouldn't have if a cow-irker hadn't loaned it to me.

"Beerfest" is a movie for showing in frat houses. Take the plot of "Cool Runnings", mix in the humor of "Animal House", and throw in some gratuitous boob shots.
Grandpa dies and Great-Grandma gives his Grandkids the job of taking his ashes to Octoberfest of scatter in the Rhine. But, unknown to them, they're really there to go to Beerfest. Beerfest is a beer drinking and drinking game playing competition. The two of them, both serious drinkers, realize they're outclassed by pretty much everyone in the world. Americans aren't even allowed because they drink so poorly.
They go home, put together a team, and spend the next year practicing. They go back, beat everyone, and win their ancestral brewery back.

If it wasn't free I wouldn't have watched it. Heck, even free I wouldn't have watched it if Ron hadn't insisted.

As much as I dog on the story it's not bad as far as movies go. I wish the acting the Star Wars prequels was half as good. The production values were good. There's really not much to complain about other than the fraternity humor.

The coach of the German team was played by Jürgen Prochnow. One of the best scenes in the movie is when they're in a submarine and Jürgen has just finished yelling at his team. He says "I start to feel all cooped up in these U-Boats; I had a bad experience once."

It's a Das Boot reference. Don't worry, most people who would like this movie wouldn't get the reference.

No comments: