Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Road trip (out)

As I was saying the other day, Yummy and I went on a road trip to Kansas. We wanted to get a hotel along the way and see a few things instead of just powering through. So I made a map of all the reasonable routes from Washington DC to Wichita asked my friends for a list of things to see along those routes.

In Ohio we stopped to see the world's largest picnic basket. It's really the office building for a basket company.

We stayed in a Motel 6 outside St. Louis. The next morning we were gonna hit the Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum, but it was snowing so we skipped it. I want to go back and see it and the City Museum.

From St. Louis we went southwest to see the World's Biggest Rocking Chair.

Along the way we went through Cuba, MO as we tried to see the world's biggest rocking chair. Cuba, MO is lousy with murals. They're everywhere. If you're going that way you should spend the extra few miles it takes to go through that town.

I went to college in SW Kansas. For six years I was told I needed to eat at Lambert's. I was always scared off by the tales of long waits and it's proximity to Branson. But we were gonna be in the neighborhood so we stopped. At 2:00 in the $#%&@ afternoon there was a 50-55 minute wait. We left.

I tried to take Yummy to see Big Brutus. And we kind of pulled it off.
Big Brutus is a disused coal scoop that's been turned into a museum. Standing by the treads you feel a bit like a Jawa standing by his Sandcrawler. But we arrived as they were locking the gate so we didn't get to go in. The picture was taken from the road.

If you look at the map you can see evidence of Big Brutus' past activity from all the really straight ponds in the area.
View Larger Map

4 comments:

Scott said...

City Museum is sooo much fun. I finally got the chance to check it out a month or two ago. And yes, I do live in St. Louis. You are more that welcome to visit anytime. I can show you some really cool places, and you are welcome to stay at my place if you're interseted.

Ibid said...

I considered stopping and saying "hi", but we were stopping late-ish and moving on early. It would have been almost rude to make such a short visit.

lacochran said...

I do so love kitsch! Never saw the basket building before. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Lambert's is soooo worth the wait! Tip: If you don't eat breakfast and get there when they open (10:30 am), you don't have to wait!!