Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tree type confirmed

In May of 2008 I took a train down to Orlando, Florida to watch a Space Shuttle launch. [vacation slides] The next day I went to a place not far from there called The Enchanted Forest. It's a little nature preserve and hiking trail area. There I saw ant lions in the wild (as opposed to in the barn), an armadillo, and an orange tree that had wandered off from the orchard and got lost. The orange tree had lost an orange. And while it's illegal to take things from the nature preserve I still took the orange.

Back in DC, I opened up the orange and fished out the seeds. Lots of things came up in that pot. Most were recognizable but one thing wasn't so I didn't kill it. It wasn't necessarily the orange seed. I see lots of things come up that I don't recognize.

I moved the plant to a larger pot still not knowing for sure what it is.

Yesterday I noticed three thorns coming off of the trunk. A quick internet search indicates that store bought hybrids don't have thorns, but trees grown from seeds gathered from a hybrid often do have thorns. At long last I have some solid evidence that it's actually an orange tree.

There's also a root coming out the bottom of the pot. Time for another transplant. It's currently only about a foot tall.

3 comments:

BrianAlt said...

You have lots of little projects going on, don't you?

Ibid said...

Constantly.

lacochran said...

Orange tree with thorns?

Huh.