Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Stolen girlfriend

For the 4th of July weekend Yummy took me to meet her cousin and family. Their oldest kid is three years old and change. He's also Yummy's godson.

Yummy used to go down there at least once a month. But since we've been dating she's gone down a little less. By a little less I mean that I think she's been down twice since we started dating. In fact, I think I may have over counted. So, once if you include that weekend.

I kinda feel like I stole Yummy from them. So while we were down there we borrowed ten of her godson's books. Then I put Yummy in front of a microphone and made her read them out loud.

Having recorded a few things myself, I knew the best thing to do was to get clear of the room. Listeners make the reader nervous. If you listen to the original recording you can hear her gain confidence as she goes along. She starts with several minutes of giggling and rereading the title of the first book a few times. When she starts reading there's that tone in her voice. You know, when you're speaking but don't want to be heard. But after a few books she gets comfortable and start using more emphasis and some voices.

Last night I flopped on the couch and cleaned up the recording. I cut all the places where she stumbled and started again. I cut the sounds of pages flipping. When possible I cut the rhythmic sound of what I assumed was her nervous foot. Then I got a brief chime and put that in for each page turn.

I have to record introductions for each book tonight, but other than that I'm done. Now Aunt Yummy can read books to her godson any time he wants.