Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Potato trial results

Previously...

I started growing potatoes in a barrel.
http://dougintology.blogspot.com/2006/06/po-tay-toes.html

They sprouted and took root.
http://dougintology.blogspot.com/2006/06/mo-potato.html

The guys who worked on my house dumped my potato barrel. A tragic loss. The only remaining potato was the one I dropped on the surface next to one of my prickly pears. That's the same one shown in the second link.

That potato continued to grow and that icky brown spot continued to spread. The potato itself rotted away, but the rest survived. The three sprouts grew to be quite long and jumped out of the pot. But it was always kind of sickly. We had a drought going on, I wasn't there to water it, and it had been shoved under a tree so it wasn't getting as much light as it might have liked. They finally gave up and died about a week back. I pulled them up and threw them in the empty potato barrel to start next years growing muck. I looked back at the pot I just yanked them out of and saw something peeking through the soil. I dug around a bit and found this.



My potato crop. Sad it may be, but the concept has been proven and I will try again next year.

No comments: