Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Steam bath

Sorry this is so late. A hot water pipe broke in the office yesterday morning. Or, rather, it was discovered yesterday morning. This end of the hall was completely hidden in a cloud of steam and the power strips were under a couple of inches of water.

I got in this morning to find my door open with a fan and a dehumidifier running. And my room had hardly been touched. My poor cardboard table took the worst of it. The bottom 9 inches or so of leg curled back on itself.

Up the hall, in our main offices, we've got several monster dehumidifiers running and roughly eighteen big blowers. I've been spending my morning moving them around and plugging them in to different areas. They're blowing circuits left and right.

They just turned the network room, which was at the farthest reaches of the flood, back on. Just like that I suddenly become a useful member of society again.

They had this big plank of outlets wired into the circuit breaker in the hall. They had to remove it to get the network room working. Now they want the plank hooked up in my room. Which means that my room will have so many cables running out of it that the door won't close. I have to secure everything in here for the next week.

1 comment:

BrianAlt said...

Fun.

I building I once worked at had a fire in an elevator. We were out of there for a few days, but when we returned there was a couple of inches of water on the floor.

It didn't completely dry out for a couple of months.