Monday, February 01, 2010

Movie Review: Book of Eli

Saw "Book of Eli" last night. I can't tell you about it, though.

"Book of Eli" is one of THOSE movies. The type where the unfolding of the story and the world therein is what makes the movie worthwhile. You find yourself wanting to talk about the movie when it's over. Because of some revelation at the end you want to see the movie again so you can look for signs.

What can I tell you about it? There's a guy named Eli and he has a book. So far, no spoilers.

Something happened to destroy civilization about 30 years ago. There was a war. More than that, they've lost much of the protection from the sun that we enjoy. The specifics are left vague so you can try to piece it together yourselves.

Eli has been roaming the earth for most of these 30 years hoping to find a place to bring the book and use it for good. To ensure that people who will understand the message for what it is and treat it as Eli feels it should be treated.

The villain, a man named Carnegie, has been building a renewed civilization for him to rule. He wants the book so he can use it to build his empire and get people to mindlessly follow him.

If you see the movie you should see it with someone. In the end you will want to talk about the movie. Some movies you walk out of and say "anyone else hungry?" This one will make you talk about what happened and how it messed with your impression of what you thought the movie's message was supposed to be.

Dunno if I'll get it or not. I want to see it again, but I'm not sure about again and again.

1 comment:

GreenCanary said...

I was pleasantly surprised with the movie. It was not what I expected and it gave me a lot to think about. What's more, it was a future world that didn't scare me in the traditional sense, but made me wonder more than anything else.