Thursday, September 27, 2007

Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Three bags full.

I just started my third bag of mortar. I'm rather proud of this. The first bag lasted from March 13 to August 13. The second lasted from August 13 until Sept 25. This time I bought some help instead of doing it on my own.

A co-worker of mine has a son with some real promise as a geek. He built his own computer and then sold it on Ebay. He then took that money and bought a G3 laptop of Ebay. I think he got taken twice. He was underpaid for his computer and then the laptop had all sorts of problems. He brought it into the office where I was gonna load him up with some older software that we'd abandoned. But we couldn't make it work. So now he's without computer. Or, rather, he has to borrow his mom's and she needs it. I intended to remedy this by loaning him something from my museum but I kept failing to bring it into the office.

So, I told my co-worker that if she'd help me haul home a bag of mortar we'd use her car to bring my extra Mac G3 tower to the office and I'd rig it up for her son.

The computer left the office the next day with Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Office, sound editing software, Scratch (MIT's programming language for kids), and the web server turned on. I wanted to install PHP and MySQL but it rejected them. I couldn't find my old copy of Flash and the backup wasn't responding. I think I had already loaned them to him. Oh, shoot. I meant to give him Painter, too.

10 years ago this would have been my dream machine.


Also, my green bean plants did finally put out a few pods late in the season.

This drought has been pretty hard on all my plants. I've drained my rain barrel twice this summer. It's kept the plants alive but not happy.

Someone left two very large pots along the sidewalk up the street from my house. I hauled them home the other day and transplanted some of my brother's uber-mint into them. It should be happier there if it can take root before it gets too cold.

Mosquitoes are supposed to hate this stuff. The bees seem to love it, however. This is fine with me. I like bees.

No comments: