Friday, September 14, 2007

Office cleaning

I have an office of my own.

This is not because I'm some high ranking so an so within the organization. I have an office because I'm the resident geek. As resident geek I am the keeper of the electronics. Old computers, computers in need of repair, dirty keyboards, extra keyboards, software storage... all this falls to me. Nobody wants to look at this junk so they give me the space with the door that can be closed.

This works out fine for me. I always have multiple projects going on so my desk is covered with paper, books, blank disks, monitors (plural), and vats of keys suspended in cleaning solution. As my boss told someone she was giving a tour to yesterday, I thrive in this environment. I do the work of three people by my estimate and five people by hers.

It's also, at the moment, storage for lots of our old books. For reasons I won't get into now my office was filled with boxes of our old book. I finally got permission to unbox the books and put them on the shelves. This left me with lots of empty boxes. I gave a few away, but most were just gonna go to the dumpster. I couldn't allow this to happen.

I broke down the boxes and layed them out flat. With some carpenter's glue I started gluing them together slightly offset so the folds never line up. I made an eight foot section of seven layer thick cardboard. Yesterday, after I went off the clock, I pulled out my jigsaw and shaped the big cardboard monstrosity. Off with the flaps that closed the top and bottom of the box. Off with anything less than seven layers and over eight feet.

This morning I dug out the vacuum cleaner and vacuumed my office. I know how to run it, I just usually don't. I've got a Roomba at home and at work I just turn off the lights. It really did look like the floor of a high school shop class in here. There's a fine layer of dust over everything now. When I run my finger over stuff it turns brown. I'm gonna need a new plan for the next piece.

What am I working on? I'm making shelving. Hopefully for books, but even if it can't handle that weight it'll serve for lots of other junk. I'll take pictures as I make the other side.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.