Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Movie review: Oblivion

Since I was suffering from pollen overload we decided to go see the first movie we'd attended in months. We snuck a bottle of Children's Benadryl into a place with a quality air filtration system and watched "Oblivion".

It wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting Tom Cruise in "Dune". Instead we got something not entirely original, but something that mixed elements of several good sci-fi movies in a new way. The problem is that there's a twist to the story that I don't want to give away.

Earth was attacked. The war is over. Earth is supposedly abandoned, but there are still resources to be harvested. Tom Cruise and his attractive female partner operate a station that controls the security drones that protect the water harvesting equipment for their sector. Even though the war is over there's something attacking the harvesters. And if you've seen the trailers you know there's still some humans on the planet. Aaaand I'll stop there. I will tell you that Tom Cruise doesn't raise an army of cave dwelling humans in a campaign to overthrow those mining the water for the rest of the Solar System.

I liked the movie and am glad that I saw it. But for some reason I'm not planning on getting it on DVD. Once was enough. Still, if you tend to see sci-fi films you'll want to see this one.




1 comment:

Dan O. said...

Good review Doug. It all looks absolutely stunning, but at the end of the day, I wasn't moved by any of it.