Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stats

I've got some blog posts that I'm working on, but I've got some work to do on them yet. I needed something that I could kind of slap out. Hey! I know. Blog stats! That should interest nobody at all but me. Well it's my blog, so suffer.

My all time most popular blog post was about making a homemade CD lens cleaner. I posted it in May of 2007 and month after month it keeps getting the most hits. I get that. It's something everyone in a technological society needs at some point.

The next few are less understandable.
Number two is my review of "Clash of the Titans". It's not a particularly good review. But the phrase "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" does appear a time or three.

Number three is my review of the book "Death Troopers". I assume it's because it's a Star Wars book and there are lots of fans. Plus, this one has a zombie overlap and people will want to know if it's good before they buy it. Maybe? I dunno.

Back in 2006 I used a DIY spray on insulation called "Tiger Foam". It was a disaster. I'm still scraping the hardened residue of the fluid that leaked out from the floor of my shower. It come in number 4 because it's the only product like it and people want to know whether to mess with it. Don't.

Fifth is my post from when I found the remains of the SciFi.com audio series "Seeing Ear Theater". It was a good radio series that remained buried on their website for years. After it went away I went looking for it elsewhere. The links are all defunct now. Still, see if you can find it somewhere. It's worth a listen.

6th - "How to write on a steamy mirror". I've considered redoing this but writing "The Game" on the mirror. I figure I'd get a ton of 4Chan people here.

7th - One I'm most proud of and is linked to most from other sites is my "Record player animation". I figured out how to do looping animations using a record player and a camera.

8th - How to make your own paving stones. Also proud of. Not so many links to it.

9th - "Papercraft Katamari". The Prince was redrawn from a low-res version on another site. The Katamari was my design. Yes, I have the ability to model dodecahedrons in my head well enough to draw them on a 2 dimensional surface.

10th - I'm not at all proud of my review of "Hoodwinked Too" and don't know why anyone reads it.


Popular keywords (all time):
1 - tiger foam review
2 - dougintology
3 - radiolab symmetry
4 - death troopers
5 - tiger foam reviews
6 - release the kraken
7 - scorpion candy
8 - far side cartoons (one post. ONE! Why does this get the hits?)
9 - homemade dvd lens cleaner
10 - katamari papercraft

Honorable mention to the post about the Solar Decathlon window slats.

Popular keywords (this month):
1 - scorpion candy
2 - star wars death troopers
3 - death troopers
4 - far side cartoons (WHY!?!)
5 - katamari papercraft
6 - dehumidifier solar decathlon
7 - homemade molds for bricks with cement
8 - pictures of writing on steamy mirrors
9 - release the kraken
10 - star wars wallpaper

Most hits are from American, Windows users, using Internet Explorer. After that German, Mac users on Firefox and British, Linux users on Chrome. In 10th place are South Korean, PlayStation Portable users using UniversalFeedParser. I also welcome the Swedish folk who got here using Netscape on a Wii.

StumbleUpon seems to be the most popular source for people to follow links from. But why they go to the archive site for June 2007 I don't know. That's followed by Yummy's blog at number 7 and blog.makezine.com at number 9. But, frankly, I think makezine stays so high because so many people came here when they reposted my record player trick.

Out of curiosity, what brought you here the first time?

1 comment:

wstachour said...

I found you by way of Canary!

I wrote a post in 2008 called "Whatever Happened To Kerry Conran," about Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. That post has had a couple thousand page views and 60 comments, compared to single digits for everything else.

Guess it touched a nerve.