Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lagothrix blogii

I'm contributing today's post to Dr Marc van Roosmalen.

Blog monkey

He's a biologist who spends a lot of time working in tha Amazon. He's discovered several previously unknown mammals. Right now he's trying to get back to study a new form of monkey that he's found. He doesn't need a lot of money. Ok, he doesn't need a lot of money as far as scientific studies go. He needs a lot of money as far you or I are concerned. $31,000.

If he can successfully raise the $31,000 via this campaign by Dec 31 he'll name the monkey after the blogosphere - Lagothrix blogii, the blog monkey.

Now, I don't really care what they call the monkey. What I like is that he needs so little that we can actually do something to help him. I usually won't give a quarter to a homeless guy on the street because my quarter won't help him. But I'll give ten bucks to someone else who can actually be helped. If it'll get some guy a fan belt when he's stranded or something like that.

If you can donate a dollar or ten to this guy please do so. If you have a blog then use it to tell about his project.

You can check out the site by clicking the picture of the monkey above or by going to http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/monkey/

No comments: