Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Movie Review: Man of Steel

IT'S GOOD! I honestly didn't think there could be a good Superman movie as long as Jon Peters was involved. I'd go as far as saying that it's the best Superman movie yet. Alas, that's a bit like talking about the best Fantastic Four movie. Don't get me wrong, I liked Christopher Reeves as Superman. But I know you and I have the same problems with those first two movies. Spinning the Earth backwards to go back in time, holographic Superman projections, a tractor beam from his finger, Lois's spoken word song (bleh)... these screwed up an otherwise good movie.

My biggest issue with this movie was the music. It's alright music, but not in any way memorable. There's no theme song. No recurring series of notes to stick in your head. Nothing to hum to yourself when trying to pump yourself up. Nothing to get pulled over for because you were playing the soundtrack in the car and accidentally started speeding. It might make good soothing music for PTSD patients. But I doubt they'll make a dime from the soundtrack.

They do manage to skip what they can of his origin story. It's Superman. We know the story. But they do spend a good amount of time setting up the back story for Jor-El and Zod. They don't spend as much time on Clark's childhood as the trailers lead you to believe.
I like that some reporter worked out who he is. If anyone was going to do it, it'd be Lois.

Lots of Jesus allegory. I laughed out loud when they said Clark was 33.

I'm told there's no short clip at the end of the credits. Someone looked it up on their phone while the credits rolled and told the audience. Most of them got up and left immediately. Come on, DC, are you challenging Marvel for the crown or not?

I'll be getting this on DVD.

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

Nice review. If only the movie kept itself going at the pace it started, I’d probably have a lot more to be happy about.