Thursday, November 17, 2011

Crocheted pots

As you know, Yummy has a guerrilla gardening group here in DC. Winter is kind of a dead time for the group, but we're preparing for next spring. We're crocheting pots to plant things in and hang around the city.

Here's my first three pots.

The first one is the long one in the lower right. I didn't know how to crochet so I took the one stitch Yummy showed me and started trying to make a rectangle that I could bring around into a pocket. But it kept getting narrower and narrower. So I made it into a cone type thing. We could probably grow a carrot in there.

The one in the lower left was the second attempt. Knowing now that I couldn't turn around worth a crap I created a design that just allowed me to go around and around and around. I tried to make the bottom flat and almost succeeded. The first four rows were flat, but then it went a bit pointy toward the middle. If you flip it over it looks like a green fez. I still need to add something to hang it with.

The one on the top took the longest. I made a long chain along the bottom and then started running around that chain. At about 1/3rd and 2/3rds the way along the back I reached through and hooked the front. This divided it into three pockets. When I finished with the pockets I did another row along the top where I'd do two stitches that connect to the pocket and then a chain of three that wasn't and repeated that all the way along. That created a row of holes. Then another row on top just for strength. Finally a really long chain. The idea being that I could put this on a chain link fence by running the chain back and forth through the holes to sew the basket to the fence.

Have more that I'm working on. I'll post them as they finish. And Yummy's baskets, too, as soon as I have good pictures of them.

2 comments:

phynngrrl said...

If you're using a 100% wool yarn, you can felt them into pot-like shapes that will be a bit more durable and cover a multitude of mistakes. You could also consider using plarn (plastic yarn) that is made by cutting plastic grocery bags into long strips and then crocheting/knitting those strips like you would regular yarn. Those will be more porous, but very sturdy and they won't break down when wet. Warning- Using plarn is tough on the hands!

Ibid said...

I was looking at the plastic bag strips twisted up to do some weaving. I'll give them a shot.

I'm also looking into using some conductive thread and putting some lights on one. And I have some of the thin wires from inside ethernet cables that simply must be crocheted/knitted/tatted into SOMETHING!