Monday, March 08, 2010

How to write on a steamy mirror

We've all seen those movies where someone has written a message on a mirror that only becomes visible when it fogs up. As easy as it seems, there's a trick to doing it right.

The first think people try is just taking their finger and drawing on a steamy mirror. This causes words to appear immediately. And, next time you take a shower you'll be able to see a ghost of the words on the mirror. Not much. Just a different pattern in some of the condensation. Completely invisible if you haven't put your glasses on yet.

To write a message properly you need soap.
Get the soap wet so a respectable amount will come off on your finger when you touch it.
Write the message you want on the mirror.

At this point the message is quite clear. Anyone can read it. You need to get the soap off of the mirror to keep it a surprise.

For my example I drew a heart on the mirror.You need to remove the soap in such a way that you don't smear it all over the mirror. That would ruin the message. But if you put tissues of some kind over your finger and trace the lines of the text you should be fine. It gets hard to do after a bit because you can no longer see exactly where your lines were.

In my case, I wanted the heart filled. To this end I wiped from the outside toward the middle. You can see from the streaks in the picture just how much the soap can smear. That's why it's so important to stay in the lines when working with text.

You can tell in this picture that I didn't get the mirror fully cleaned. I could have spent more time on it, but I'm a lazy slob. Luckily my mirror always has spots and streaks on it.


Then, after my girlfriend had her shower, I had a mirror that looked like this.

5 comments:

jolie said...

thank you for this article, it's kinda cute, though.

www.joeydavila.net

Anonymous said...

If I wiped a mirror three times with window, over the course of a few weeks... could there possibly still be writing on it when it steams up? I got out of the shower today and there was a named and a partial message (another girl's name but couldn't read the rest). I always turn the fan off because I get cold, but this is the first time I've noticed any writing. It was pretty pronounced, enough to take a picture of. Has my boyfriend had another girl over since I moved in, or is it possible that its an old note? The bottom part was mostly wiped off, I cleaned it yesterday concentrating on the bottom.

Anonymous said...

windex*

Unknown said...

This is one of a kind. Thanks for sharing this photos.

Benjie
www.imarksweb.org

Indoor Air Quality & Ventilation said...

Good read, It really is incredibly fantastic and informative website. Good to discover your site Very well article! keep sharing. But
how to stop condensation on windows?