Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Movie Review: Men Who Stare At Goats

I have my doubts about the dates used in this movie.

"Men Who Stare At Goats" is a partially true story. Which parts are never made clear. It's the story of a reporter who, having lost his wife to a one armed man, goes to Iraq to cover the war. Unable to get access to good stories he hooks up with a guy who claims to be a military contractor who is getting jobs in Iraq. Turns out he was really part of a government program to train people with extraordinary mental abilities. He claims that their various members could find missing people, influence the minds of others, and kill just by staring at someone. He's in Iraq undercover so he can find somebody important.

The movie keeps switching back and forth between the reporter telling his story in Iraq and the "contractor" telling his story about his training.

I've heard about American and Soviet programs into psychic abilities. Who started them is unclear. Once one was going, or rumored to be going, they both needed one in order to prevent a Psychic Gap. Typically, these are associated with the '60s. However, the movie places these programs in the 80's. I can believe Reagan would approve of these kinds of programs, but it's still difficult to think of these kinds of activities in that era.

This movie is a comedy. No, that's not right. But it is funny.

I liked it, but I haven't yet decided if I want it on DVD. Yummy does so I might get it just for her.

No comments: