Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Airport - A Bruce story

Three years back I had the back of my house replaced. This is not a story about that.

For the first week that I was cast out of my house I took a vacation to visit my parents in Kansas. This is not a story about that.

For the remainder of the time that I was without house I was going to live in my office. This is a related story.

Bruce had agreed that he would pick me up at the airport and help me smuggle my luggage onto base. Yeah, that's as in Army Base. I mean, what guard is gonna let some guy with a suitcase through the gate?

I'd also left my key with him so that he could get my bird into my office and feed it while I was gone. I will freely admit that I gave him the wrong key. That's my bad. So Gandolf's cage was set up in the main office instead of mine. So, props to Bruce for smuggling the cage onto base. Annoyance for him losing fully half the bolts.

Bruce didn't show up to meet me at the airport as promised. Instead we had a conversation like this:
ME: Bruce! It's Ibid. You at the airport?
HE: Yeah!
ME: I'm down at luggage claim, where are you?
HE: I'm on the highway.
ME: Oh. So not actually at the airport.
HE: I'm going to see a movie.
ME: Did you say you're going to see a movie?
HE: Yeah.
ME: You said you were gonna pick me up at the airport.
HE: I'm going to see a movie.

So I took the subway from the airport to the nearest Metro stop. I dragged my suitcase to the front gate at about 10:30 at night. The story I told the guard was that some coworker was supposed to pick me up at the airport but decided to go see a movie instead and had left my house keys in the office. He let me in. It was another half mile to my office building.

I checked the building over until I found a door that was locked but hadn't latched. I navigated a maze of stairs, elevators, and locked and unlocked doors to get to my office. Since I still had the key to my specific office I got in.

I called him the next day (Saturday) and asked him to bring me my keys. He says they're sitting on the bird's cage. That would be the bird cage two rooms over. The room I want the keys to get in to. He said he'll be in Monday.

I had 7 cookies left, 3 packages of instant oatmeal (microwave is inaccessable), and the better part of a box of Mt Dew. I already ate a package of Skittles, three packages of Twix, and several cookies. Bruce says he left the bird with lots of food, but his definition of lots is in question. I didn't dare leave the building to go get more food because the doors may well lock behind me so I'd be without shelter. The tap water is barely potable so we keep bottled water in the fridge. I couldn't get there, either.

Monday:
HE: You should be grateful!
ME: Grateful? Grateful that I almost got to know what it's like to sleep in a gutter!?
HE: Fine! No more favors!
ME: That's for sure! If you call failing to be where you said you would and forcing someone to choose between food and shelter a favor the please don't do anyone any favors!

2 comments:

BrianAlt said...

It's your fault.

Why would you EVER rely on a person like this?

Ibid said...

Believe me, after this, I never asked him to do anything for me ever again.

Even before this I'd take away his cellphone when I needed something done.