Monday, August 03, 2009

Monday morning

I had several things this weekend that I wanted to write about. Now it's Monday morning, my mind is asking me why I'm not in bed, and I can't remember any of them. So, lets start free associating and see what I come up with.

Yummy finished painting the library for me. She's a much more experienced painter. She likes to paint with a roller while I find they have only two modes - drippy and empty. I spent a good long while with a foam brush applying the paint. I get no brush strokes and great control. On the other hand it takes awhile. The paint liked to go on very thin and required many layers to appear even. But it dried fast and had no fumes. You can ask the giant purple spider that's removing my appendix.

Later this week I'll be pushing my new desk up against said wall and hanging up the various pictures that Yummy has gotten me. Then my non-portable computer gets moved up on the desk, the cabinet that the computer is now on gets emptied and placed in the Sidewalk Marketplace.

Up in the library is a lamp that I finally started recovering. I found it on the sidewalk with holes burned in the lampshade. They were those flame shaped bulbs that run so incredibly hot. I'm pretty sure it was placed too close to the wall so the lampshade was pressed against the bulbs. The new lampshade probably isn't fireproof, but some compact fluorescent bulbs should work nicely. I was planning to put it back out on the Sidewalk Market, but with the cabinets gone I may decide to keep it.

Maybe not.

The Dog Days Sidewalk Sale was this past weekend. We went to the Studio Theatre's garage sale and picked up this owl candle holder. I already have one that I picked up because it looks just like ones my grandparents had. There was lots of other great stuff but we held back due to limitations in my budgets of money and space.

We also went in several old furniture stores that I'd been trying to take Yummy in for awhile. One is an old house with a long hallway that connects room after room dressed up to look like residences. The other is a building, a basement, an alley, and another building packed with furniture piled as high as safe (and then a bit) with narrow passages, lots of stuff that's completely unreachable, and the smell of your great grandmother's basement. I got some books that I've not seen in other used book stores. Yummy got a happy brain. We both got dehydrated.

I've introduced Yummy to Babylon 5. I'd been putting it off since I'd already gotten her hooked on Doctor Who and semi-hooked on Heroes (and Coupling and Spaced and Rough Science and...). By the end of episode 2 she was planning to dress me like Londo for Halloween.

Was any of that related to what I wanted to write? I dunno. Let's pick this up again tomorrow.

1 comment:

GreenCanary said...

My love, painting with a foam brush is pure madness. And I'm tempted to comment on the blue handprint across the back of the chair, but I shall refrain :)