Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Movie Review: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Of all the movies in this year's Academy Awards I think "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" has the most staying power. It's the one that people will still recognize years from now.

This movie is the life story of a man named Benjamin Button. He was born as a really old infant, grew up in a wheelchair, advanced to crutches, then a cane, became self-mobile, grew his hair back, and generally got younger and younger. Late in life he started to shrink and slowly became a senile little kid, forgot how to walk, and finally died as a baby. The story is mostly told as a woman reading an old diary/photo album to her mother. The mother is on her death bed in a New Orleans hospital as Hurricane Katrina advances on them.

Not sure what to say about it. Ben took a job on a fishing boat as an old man and worked there for years as he kept getting younger. He supported the WWII war effort on that boat. He tried to see a good portion of the world. He met his real father. He had a few romances. He and the old woman in the hospital spent several years together in their respective middle ages.

Again, I will not be buying this movie on DVD.

What? If these were my kind of movies I would have seen them when they came out.

1 comment:

GreenCanary said...

This movie made me cry the sort of cry that hurts when it's over. I would compare the Benjamin Button crying to that done during Million Dollar Baby, which nearly crippled my tear ducts.

I'm not sure why this movie upset me so much. Perhaps it was the end when Cate Blanchett (HOT! I want to brush her hair and give her kisses) is all old and holding this infant who was her LOVER and he looks at her with his baby eyes and then DIES! It was horrible. And also ooky. Babies as lovers *shudder*