Monday, December 15, 2008

Movie Review: The Day the Earth Stood Still

It looks like the new version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" will stand next to films like "Battlefield Earth", "Gigli", and anything directed by Uwe Boll in the disgustingly bad movie hall of fame. Even as I watched the trailers I knew that to enjoy this movie was to leave all comparisons to the original at the door. This is not that movie and the two should not be compared.

But I still planned to see the movie. Right up until I read this.
http://amygdalagf.blogspot.com/2008/12/nikto.html
It's a collection of reviews from most any significant reviewer you may have heard of. Even the good reviews say it makes them pine for "Mystery Science Theatre 3000".

Part of me still wants to see it. It's been so long since anything has come out that holds any interest for me. I've seen 3 movies since July: "Igor", "Quantum of Solace", and "Twilight". You know I only saw "Twilight" because I'm dating. Damn it, this movie was supposed to not suck.

See, I don't believe in supporting bad movies and bad corporations. I don't shop at Wal-Mart since I don't like them forcing their vendors to move to China. I don't shop at Amazon since I don't like them patenting stuff they didn't invent. This movie is awful but I still want to see it. Think it'll be in the dollar theaters by Christmas? Sure, there's not one around here, but there are some out in Kansas.

1 comment:

Sweetly Single said...

Don't forget to bring your ruby slippers.

The day the earth stood still was a top seller here... only because when it's -45 we have nothing other than movies to watch....I'm waiting til it hits the cheap seats..... because I object to over priced theatres.