Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Movie Review: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I'm just going to forward you on to the review written by KassyK.
http://kassyk.wordpress.com/2007/12/22/breathtakingly-depraved/

I hate musicals. No, there's just not enough letters in "hate" to describe the loathing I have for musicals. Most musicals are a bunch of songs tied together by a weak plot. Or they're stories that have songs shoehorned into them. Like that awful one we had to watch about the writing of the Constitution. But almost all just start bringing you into the story and then ruin it by breaking into song and dance routines.

Sure, there's a few I've liked. Fiddler on the Roof grew on me. I saw one production of Guys and Dolls that I liked. South Park was my favorite by far. The Producers was better the first time, before the music. But the movie version of Sweeney Todd I liked. I may even get it on DVD. Maybe it was the lack of dance routines. Maybe it was the fact that it furthered the story line. Maybe the comically macabre nature of the movie that helped me get past it.

It's the story of a barber who was sent to prison on false charges because a judge wanted his wife. Fifteen years later he's escaped and returns to London to get his wife back, or, failing that, vengeance. He winds up a mass murderer whose victims get ground up for meat in the meat pie shop below the barber's shop.

Go read KassyK's review. She gives a great review while I just go on about how much I hate musicals.

2 comments:

TlalocW said...

What about the world's best musical, "Popeye," you plebian?

Anonymous said...

Sweeney Todd is my favorite movie. Thanks for Review. You can
download movie here