Thursday, June 07, 2007

Movie Review: The Seventh Seal

Most. Overrated. Movie. Ever!

I've been seeing spoofs of this movie my whole life. I've heard great things about this movie. Then they showed it at AFI Theatre Saturday night and I realized I'd been had.
I suppose if I'd looked up a crib sheet to explain all the symbolism I'd like it more. Most people I overheard leaving were trying to figure out what much of it meant and were coming up with some stuff that even they didn't like.

Short version: A man wakes on a rocky beach where he's washed up after his ship crashed on the way back from the Crusades. Death comes for the man so the man challenges Death to a game of chess. As they start playing we cut to a roving band of performers. Eventually the crusader and his servant meet up with the performers and they begin to travel together. Every so often Death shows up so he and the crusader can talk philosophy and chess. The crusader wins the game and makes it home to his wife. Then Death comes for them all.
There was one scene that was kind of dark that could have been the famous scene where two people are speaking, one in profile and one straight on. But I get the impression that most of the spoofs I've seen were spoofs of spoofs instead of spoofs on this movie.

Did not like.

No comments: