Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Movie Review: The Last King of Scotland

When I first heard about this I had no idea what it was about. Then I saw a review and wondered what Idi Amin had to do with Scotland. I was king of interested because I know so little about Idi Amin, but it was nominated for an Academy Award so that was a turn off. Only the lamest movies win even if a good on actually gets nominated. But I heard enough good reviews that I thought maybe the Academy might have made a mistake. Turns out it's a little from both piles.

This is the story of Idi Amin's personal doctor. A young man from Scotland goes to Uganda to be a village doctor and have a bit of adventure. Amin is taking over as he rides the bus to his village. He goes to see Amin on Amin's tour of Uganda as new President and skipping a few bits of ths story becomes Amin's doctor. He's mostly blind to what's going on in the country. Sure there's a few quirks to Amin but he's not that bad. But eventually he learns about people disappearing and mass slaughters and decides he wants out. There's more to the story, but that's what I wanted to know before going to see it.
Much like "Good Night and Good Luck" shouldn't be viewed as a lesson in McCarthyism this shouldn't be viewed as a lesson in Amin's rule.

Good movie but I don't need to see it again.
You know, I say that a lot. And it IS a good movie. Forest Whitaker does a great job conveying paranoia and a bi-polar personality. I want to know more about Idi Amin. I just want to see it again less than some other movies I say it about.

No comments: